To the left of the River Piave, also called Fiume Sacro alla Patria (Sacred River of the Homeland), at its northernmost point, the plain of the “Quartier del Piave” acts as a marvellous amphitheatre for the surrounding Prealps and Venetian Alps. The high peaks protect it from the icy northern winds and shield the most humid areas of the Palu until arriving at the gentle slopes of the hills marked by dense rows of vines of the Conegliano Valdobbiadene Prosecco DOCG area.
The area known as Palù (bog) extends for 1000 hectares, and is unique in Europe due to its network of closed wetlands and the special avifauna that lives there, and typical and native flora, which tells us that in ancient times the Quartier del Piave had to be completely flooded.
If we imagine this area as a large lake, its coast would have been formed to the south by the high ground of the Montello, followed by Monte Cesen, San Boldo, Visentin and Nevegal all around.
The villages and towns that have found an ideal settlement in the plain of Quartier del Piave are Farra di Soligo, Soligo and Falzè; in the plain of Susegana and Conegliano and in the Valley of the two lakes, Tarzo and Revine Lago. Moriago della Battaglia and Vidor are located along the River Piave.
Soligo, a hamlet of Farra di Soligo, rests at the foot of two hills: the hill of San Gallo with its millenary history and little church that was the hermitage of the Benedictine friar, and the hill called “Col de Fer” due to its iron-rich rocks.
The hills and area were first settled by the Romans, followed later by the Lombards, then became a fief of the Da Camino family of Venice and the bishops of Vittorio Veneto who destroyed the castle that was on the hill of San Gallo. A holiday destination since the 1800s due to the mild Mediterranean climate where the summer evenings are cooler than in the plain, and where the noise of the city is a distant memory lost in the rustling of the forest filled with chestnut trees, beech trees, ash trees and oak trees and where apple, fig and pear trees grow.
Right on this hill, whose summit reaches 400 meters above sea level, we find the skilfully restored remains of the ancient watchtower (1000 AD) that once controlled the passages from the Prealps to the sea. Looking out from its windows on a clear day, it is possible to see the spires of the Doge’s Palace in Venice.
In the 60s, the owner of the place, Countess Vedovati, asked her father to purchase the property from the current owner, but the deal fell through and it was purchased by another company that used it as a typical Venetian tavern, cultivating the vineyards. The area is nicknamed Costa d'Oro (Gold Coast) because of its favourable exposure to the sun’s rays from the morning until sunset: this special feature, combined with the mild climate make it ideal for vine cultivation.
In 2000, Icaro S.r.L. purchased the entire property including the land and vineyard.
After a careful and meticulous restoration faithful to the original constructions and using local materials, a first restaurant was opened in 2003, followed by a second one which lasted until 2018.
The Icaro company wanted to call the inn “La Candola” borrowing the name from the horizontal axis that divided into two the façade of barrels containing the aging wine. The wine, a precious nectar, was kept in the wooden barrels and the Candola was placed in the middle to protect its heart, just above the candolin, i.e. the cap immersed in the wine that squeaks when opened to pour out un'ambretta.
At the beginning of 2019, work began to completely refurbish the inn according to today’s health and hygiene standards. The “La Candola” inn will soon reopen for the organization of different events.
The building has three rooms all with fireplaces overlooking the adjoining stallage on the outside which extends to the portico – a breath-taking belvedere with a beautiful view spanning from Trieste to Venice, passing through Monte Grappa up to the Euganean Hills.
In the upper garden there is a panoramic swimming pool with jacuzzi; a sauna area and six beautifully furnished bedrooms.
La Candola offers first-class accommodation where guests can relax or invigorate their senses under the majestic branches of the centuries-old horse-chestnut trees that open like a curtain on the entire view of the Quartier del Piave.
Two other structures will soon be made available to guests. One is the guest lodge, which can be reached by walking through a pergola surrounded by vines, roses, wisteria and fruit trees. The guest lodge dates back to the year 1000 and was renovated in the 60s-70s according to the original design and using local materials.
In the Col de Per hill there is another house called “Terrazza Col de Per” due to its particular position, which dominates the plain below and whose living room windows look out towards the Prealps and Alps.